photo banner.png" Image Map
 photo photobanner1.png

10 February 2012

Date Talks

Last Saturday the hubs and I had our garage sale date. Here is a recap of all that we got.

For all of you who go garage sale-ing, you know that you spend quite some time in the car. Now the hubs and I aren't really into listening to the radio. We prefer the quietness, because sometimes there's something in the quietness. Also, without the radio it allows us time to talk and catch up with each other. During the week, he works two jobs so I hardly get to see him. When the weekend arrives, it's time for us to play catch up, and listening to the radio prevents that opportunity.

Like most other car rides, the radio is off and we're talking. We talk about our needs and wants as a couple and our needs and wants as an individual. What I need from our relationship is different than what the hubs needs from the relationship. We're not struggling at all in our relationship, just sometimes it's the little things that frustrate us. Sometimes we get so much into routine and all about us and what makes us happy that we forget the important things. It's also hard to communicate when we hardly see each other. And communicating is difficult when we each have a different love language. (Have you ever read that book? I highly recommend it for everyone. Married or not.) My love languages are physical touch and words of affirmation. The hubs is acts of kindness and physical touch. 

Okay. So we've got the whole physical touch thing down, but the other two are difficult for the both of us. The hubs prefers having something done for him. That's how he feels loved. I prefer words of encouragement from the people I love. That's how I feel loved. Very different forms of showing love. And it's my job as a wife to work on speaking to my husbands love language, just as it's his job to speak to mine. If I'm honest with myself, the past few weeks I've been kind of slacking in the whole loving my husband through his love language. Life has come and swept me up in all of its chaos, and I had lost sight of the important things. In our conversation this past Saturday, love languages came up and I had to face the fact that I had not been doing the best job for my husband. 

This past week, I have tried my best to speak to my husband through his love language. It's not been easy. Acts of kindness are not my strong suit. But I'm trying. And I'm praying that God will help me speak to my husband in a way that he alone understands. 

So here it is. All out in the open. I love being a wife and I love my husband. It's not always easy being a wife, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I have the best husband in the world and I'm so excited about the journey we are on together and I'm anxious to see where God takes us. 

To find out what your love language is click here
I seriously recommend this book. It's life changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment