photo banner.png" Image Map
 photo photobanner1.png

01 February 2012

The Date Talk

So let's face it...I'm awful at dating. I only had one other boyfriend before I met hubs and that was in high school and doesn't really count. When hubs and I met we didn't really date, we just hung out. Of course we went to dinner together and stuff but because we were poor cautious with our money we didn't do many "fancy date" things. I mean, our first "date" was 6 hours at Waffle House (yes, we spent 6 hours straight at Waffle House just talking and getting to know each other). Also, since we were just going to Waffle House, I'm pretty sure I just wore jeans and a sweatshirt. It was a cold February day in college, what else was I going to wear? At least I didn't pull out the rain boots.

I mean the first time we met, it was outside in front of a cigar bar and I had just finished working out and I hadn't felt like showering didn't have time to shower before going out with the best friend. The next time the same best friend and I were trying to change a tire (for all those wondering, yes I can change a tire on my own - I had done it previously - this was just a ploy to see him again, and the lug nuts were on too tight for little me to get them off). So I was not looking good then as well.

See the pattern? I don't remember the first time I actually dressed up for him. Sad I know. But I wasn't into the whole dressing up for guys thing. I was more of a "you get what you get and you don't pitch a fit" kind of girl. If they didn't like me how I was naturally then that was their loss. Luckily hubs was pretty smitten ;)

Anyway, this whole dating thing. We didn't really do it. We just did life together, because that's what felt right. So to actually go out on a date is weird. And I find myself being, what I feel like, an awkward dater. Is that weird? I mean, I know my husband. It shouldn't be awkward dating him. Right? Then there are all these expectations that I have.Which isn't right. I shouldn't have these expectations, which are typically unrealistic. So I find find myself awkwardly trying to date my husband and it just doesn't feel right. In fact, it feels almost forced.

Now let me clarify that I'm talking about those anticipated fancy date nights. We go out to eat and do kinda date night then, but it's more like doing life rather than a date. My goal for this year is to actually date my husband. It's something that I know I need to get better at. It's difficult because we don't have a night off together except for the weekends because he works two jobs, so dating gets pretty tough. Throw in my awkwardness and my unrealistic expectations and things just have a snowball effect. But this will get better. I'm going to work on it and trust that dating can be fun and not at all stressful. Right?

So first date planned...Garage sale-ing this weekend. It's something hubs and I enjoy doing (plus I don't have to get dressed up for this one). Each of us will get a set amount of money to spend, and we'll see what all we can find without going over budget. I'm excited to see what we can come up with!

Anyone out there have any advice for this poor awkward dater? Or ideas of what would make a fun, economical date, rather than the traditional going out to dinner? I would really appreciate it!

Let me just end this whole thing by saying that I have a wonderful husband who doesn't care if I look good for a date (obviously), he just likes that he gets to be with me and that's what it's all about in the end. Spending time together having fun. That's what "dating" is in the end.

Also, check out this site I found on Pinterest! It has all kinds of dating ideas on it and relational advice! I'm excited to scour the contents of the site and see what I can find for hubs and I to do.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment