photo banner.png" Image Map
 photo photobanner1.png

12 February 2013

You mean I get to keep her?!

This whole being a mom thing is surreal. You start preparing for mommyhood when you start talking about getting pregnant. Then the instant you get pregnant, preparation kicks in hardcore. You have nine months to really get it in your head that you are going to be a mom! It should sink in then...that in nine months (give or take a few days/weeks) you are going to be responsible for a little person.

At least that's supposed to be how it is...right? You're given nine months to prepare for the change...

But how do you prepare for the change? 

I knew it was coming. I had nine months to prepare. So why does it all still seem so surreal. Ever since we brought Baby Girl home, I feel like it's only temporary. I feel like I'm babysitting someone else's child and that eventually I'm going to have to give her back. This feeling seems to be the strongest at night. Whenever we both wake up for a feeding, I feel like I'm in some sort of dream. That the little girl in my arms that I love so much isn't mine. 

Of course, I know this isn't true. There's no denying this little one. She's definitely mine, and I'll always claim her. I guess I'm still adjusting to this little person being here. And you know what, I think this feeling is okay. I think it's normal. At least that's what I'm telling myself to make me feel better...

Do any of you other first time mommies feel the same way? Or those that remember being a first time mommy, did you ever feel like this?

 

See, there's no denying this sweet face...she has my eyes and the hubs's everything else. I mean, she is our child! And I'm happy to keep her ever day ending in "y"!

(the first picture is of me as a newborn and the second is of the hubs)

2 comments:

  1. I personally didn't feel this way but I'm sure that you are not alone. This is such a huge change for you to go through. Pretty soon the surreal feeling will wear off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel. It was especially strong for me the day we left the hospital. I kept thinking someone was going to walk in my room and say, "Okay, your time is up. Give the baby back now". I couldn't believe they were actually going to let me leave with MY baby. Even now that both of mine call me "Mama", sometimes I still can't believe they are talking to me. :)

    ReplyDelete