photo banner.png" Image Map
 photo photobanner1.png

10 April 2013

the Cloth Diaper Adventures #3


The One Where I Wash My Diapers:

Step 1: Separate. 
Whenever I change Bug's diapers, I separate the insert and the cover and put them into the wet bag. Right now I don't bother with scraping the poo off because she is solely breastfed and it just rinses off in the wash. Which brings us to step 2...

Step 2: Rinse. 
I put all my diapers, inserts, and the wet bag all in the washing machine and set it on a complete cycle without soap with cold water. This gets all the mess off of the diapers.

Step 3: Wash.
I wash my diapers in hot water with a tablespoon of powder soap. No liquid soap used on these diapers. Side note: we don't use liquid on any of our clothes. Instead, we make our own laundry detergent and I use this as our diaper detergent.

Step 3: Rinse #2.
I re-rinse all of my diapers in cold water. This is to get any extra soap off of the diapers. 

Step 4: Dry.
I hang dry both covers and inserts. It typically takes anywhere from 12 hours to a day to dry. I'm hoping that will speed up once I get my outside clothesline up and going. Of course, it's April in Georgia which means major pollen everywhere, so I'm okay with not hanging my diapers outside...

Anyway, that's my diaper washing cycle. If anyone has any tips for when the poo changes that would be greatly appreciated!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this! We have been experimenting with cloth, but I am clueless when it comes to explosive EBF poo. I'm gonna try your system ;) and now I have to find out how you make your laundry powder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found that cloth holds the explosions so much better than disposable! And since it is EBF poo, it comes right out in the water...No scraping necessary! It makes things easier. Plus, I think it's better for her little bottom.

      Delete
  2. Love reading your Cloth Diaper Adventures :) Helpful tips for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks :) I'm trying to get the hang of this whole cloth diaper thing. I can't wait until I actually have a clothesline to dry them on! Is that nerdy of me? Haha

      Delete
  3. Love cloth diapers and love how simply you explained the EASY process many think is so difficult and time consuming. Your newest follower Sasha from http://waytomotherhood.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to make it easy for people. Haha I got confused when I was researching it, so I wanted to make things simple!

      Delete
  4. I live in GA too. Pollen makes it difficult to dry my daughters diapers outside! :( Thankful for the rain we had the other day. Pollen count went down alot!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very thankful for the rain! This pollen is not doing well for my allergies! And yay for another GA blogger buddy!

      Delete