photo banner.png" Image Map
 photo photobanner1.png

07 May 2014

Our Journey to Homebirth


I've been writing and rewriting this post for a while now. I really just don't know how to get this post started. It's not that I'm ashamed and scared that we're doing a homebirth, I'm actually quite excited, and it's probably that excitement that keeps me from getting my thoughts together.

This decision does not come out of the blue for me. I wanted a homebirth with Bug, but the hubs was not comfortable at all with that. So to the hospital we went. I am happy with my hospital birth, but it didn't go at all like I "planned" and really just wasn't comfortable there. Also, I would claim that I had "first time mom glasses" on. Everything was rose colored and I didn't  really know better. So when we got pregnant this time we went straight to the same OB we used with Bug and got the ball rolling (so to speak).

But something was different this time. I didn't have my "first time mom glasses" on anymore. I noticed that the practice was treating me differently now that I had been there done that. Something just didn't feel right. I started to entertain the thought of finding a midwife and having a homebirth. At first the hubs was against it again. He wanted to go with a hospital birth again. It was easy. It was safe. But it was no longer what I wanted.

There's a lot more emotion that goes into pregnancy and birth than you would think. And I wanted more. I wanted more support. Someone I could be friends with and trust and love to deliver my baby. I wanted someone who would support me completely, not a bunch of nurses in a white sterile environment. I wanted someone who I could trust completely to do what was best for me and my baby. And I didn't feel like I was getting that from my OB.

After talking with my husband, and my best friend who just delivered her first baby at home, I started researching midwives in the area. My wish was that I would find a Christian midwife that believes what I believe to deliver my baby. But Christian midwives are hard to come by! So we interviewed a midwife from the area, but there was something off. We just didn't click and the hubs was hesitant. The best thing that came from the interview was that the hubs was fully on board with a homebirth. But he still wanted to see who we could find. Through searching some more and a call to another midwife, I find that she's booked for my due date so we couldn't go with her, we find Margaret. God was looking out for us when He led us to her. She is everything we wanted in a midwife. And the best thing, the hubs is comfortable and likes her too!

So yes, halfway through my pregnancy, we made the switch from OB to midwife; from hospital birth to water birth at home. And you know what? I couldn't be more excited about it! I feel a different anticipation and a different excitement surrounding this pregnancy and birth. It feels so much calmer and filled with less anxiety.

This is our journey to homebirth and I'm excited to share it with y'all. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! I'd love to do a question and answer post, so if you have a question feel free to email me at beautifulfamilyaffairs{at}gmail{dot}com.

2 comments:

  1. So what happens if she has another patient go into labor at the same time you do? Does she work with someone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested to read more about this! I've always felt comfortable in hospitals, but home births ate interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete