photo banner.png" Image Map
 photo photobanner1.png

29 May 2014

Opinions are like belly buttons

Isn't that how the saying goes? "Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has them." 



And for some reason, people feel it is their duty to share their opinions with new moms, old moms, and pregnant ladies. Once that bump starts to show, it's as if it's the magic key to opening up the flood gates and letting those opinions flow.

A couple of my favorites:
  • Don't put your hands above your head, it'll wrap the cord around the babies neck.
  • (in response to an upset newborn) Have you tried feeding them?
There are plenty more that I've heard over the past year plus. They always come in the most random ways. In fact, I had someone share their opinions with me in line at Kroger today. The lady first applauded me for buckling my daughter into the grocery cart, apparently a grandma had let her grandson stand in the cart and he flipped out and landed on her head recently. Then she decided to give me some advice: have someone come play with baby while you nap or shower. Okay, that makes sense and isn't too harmful, so I just smiled and nodded and said that we already do that if I needed it. Then she goes to tell me about how she paid her son for his good grades instead of an allowance. Starting in first grade...Uh okay? I don't know how I feel about paying my kids to go to school, and if you do this then whatever works for you, but why are you sharing that with me? 

My go to response is just to smile and nod. And then forget the advice just given., baby brain is really good for forgetting things like that. People mean well, they truly do. Yes, the advice that they share isn't the best advice and doesn't really pertain to what you're going through, or the advice might just be ancient and old news, but in their ignorance they really do mean well. 

What are some opinions and advice that you've been given? 


From Here to EternityWords About Waverly
my delicious adventure Photobucket
My Delicious Adventure                  The Life Of Faith
Running From The LawThe Olive Tree
         

May 8:          Taming the Temper Tantrums
May 15:        Weaning from Breastfeeding or From Formula to Cow’s Milk 
May 22:        Dealing with Mommy Guilt
May 29:        When People Share Their Opinions and How to Lovingly Handle it
June 5:         Traveling with your Toddler
June 12:       How to get your toddler to eat their veggies…or their food at all
June 19:       How to make time to blog in the busyness of motherhood
June 26:       Bedtime Battles (nap or bedtime)

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous party! Thanks for hosting. Please come and party with us tomorrow at 7 pm. We would love to have you. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com
    Happy Sunday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete